A Chinese driver’s complaint reportedly led to the suspension from duty of thirteen traffic police officers. The individual complained on the official Facebook page of Prime Minister Hun Sen that he had been fined $50 for speeding on National Road 3 in the Takeo province but had not been given a receipt. Investigations are being conducted in this case.
The event occurred on January 1 as 13 members of the Road Traffic Police Force, under the command of Brigadier General Chea Hak, were conducting operations near Champol village, in Tram Kak’s Popel commune, the Takeo provincial police’s Quick Reaction Unit said on January 7.
According to the police, the officers saw a silver sedan traveling at 106 km/h, significantly beyond the posted speed limit. A punishment of 150,000 riels is imposed for going 26 km/h over the posted speed limit.
The motorist acted violently toward the authorities and denied having been speeding as the police stated this to him.
Despite being instructed not to, the individual continued to record the police officers and refused to summon his interpreter. He slapped the table and kept on his combative speech.
The officers permitted the man to drive away since they were unable to get in touch with him and did not want to start a fight. As the man claims, they neither demanded $100 nor agreed to $50; instead, they showed him the proper amount, according to the quick response team.
The Chinese national could not be reached for comment, but the Facebook post from the account Cui Jian on January 6 indicates that he left Phnom Penh on January 1. He was allegedly traveling 30 km/h over the speed limit when the cops pulled him over. He thought that their measurement was off.
He wrote in his article, “They insisted I pay them $100, with no receipt, because they saw I’m Chinese.
“I snapped pictures of them to show the extent of their corruption, but five officers seized my phone and erased the pictures. They beat me as well, but once I paid them $50, they let me go,” he continued.
Chheang Phannara, the head of the Takeo Provincial Police, told The Post on January 8 that he has commissioned an investigation to ascertain the facts of what occurred in order to reassure the population.